DUAL ENROLLMENT / CREDIT
Heritage Christian Academy has a partnership with Grand Canyon University, in which we offer Dual Enrollment credit to our students. Along with earning dual enrollment credit, HCA's partnership with GCU also extends our students the opportunity to receive $16,000 in scholarships if they attend Grand Canyon University. These dual enrollment college credit opportunities are offered at no additional expense to our full tuition paying families, based upon the student's approved schedule and prior academic performance.
The main intent of high school is to equip and nurture students to be ambassadors for Christ in the 21st century. Heritage Christian Academy firmly believes that secondary education should address the spiritual, intellectual, emotional, social, physical, and aesthetic development of students. By nurturing development in these interrelated human domains, students will have the opportunity to prepare to serve God according to His purposes.
AP COURSES / ELECTIVES
The following are HCA's current AP and elective offerings.
- Literature & Composition
- U.S. History
- European History
- Environmental Science
- Praise Band
- Spanish I – II
HCA’s Eagles College Corner Purpose is to equip and enable you to navigate the college preparation process – career exploration, college selection, and academic enrichment – by providing personal support and customized counsel for each student.
Heritage Christian Academy eagerly partners with colleges and universities across the nation. We invite colleges and their representatives to visit our campus, to engage with our college advisors, and to come along-side our students as they explore their college choices. To schedule an appointment, please contact one of our advisors at a time convenient for you.
Both in our school’s vision and as a college preparatory institution, Heritage Christian Academy enables its students to have an impact on their world for Christ guided by a Biblical Worldview. Our Lord and Savior desires to empower you with the tools, knowledge, and training as your seek the Lord’s will in choosing your future by continuing your learning at the college level. We here at Heritage Christian Academy yearn to partner with our students and parents as we urge you to “press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called” you. (Phil 3:14)
We desire to assist you in the following as you embark on your college discovery journey.
Heritage Christian Academy’s rigorous curriculum enables our students to have the critical thinking skills to be successful in their preparation for standardized testing (ACT or SAT) required for college admissions. The following is provided to help you as a student or a parent explore and discovery the most optimal individualized study plan for either the ACT or SAT.
HCA TESTING PATHWAY :
- 1st to 11th Grade: Terra Nova
- 8th Grade: Take the PSAT for 8th/9th [ OPTIONAL ]
- 10th Grade: PSAT/NMSQT – Fall / SAT or ACT test (usually 2+ times)
- 11th Grade: PSAT – Fall (This exam determines the National Merit finalists) / SAT or ACT test (usually 2+ times)
- 12th Grade: Complete ACT or SAT testing NO LATER THAN September of your senior year
A “college” or “academic” major is an area of concentration within a particular field of study during undergraduate studies at a college or university. It is the “core” set of classes, knowledge, or curriculum that provides the solid basis for a student’s knowledge of a particular subject. While a “major” does NOT have to equate to a specific post-graduate job or career, some “majors” are designed to do just that. For example, bachelor degrees in accounting, engineering, or elementary education lend themselves to the fields of tax accounting, electrical engineer, or 1st grade teacher. However, some majors such as a “History” or “Mathematics” major lend themselves to a broader area of employment.
The “main” breakouts for majors/career choices are:
- Medical & Life Sciences (Biology, Nursing, Pharmacy, Marine Science)
- Visual & Performance Arts (Architecture, Graphic Design, Theater, Interior Design)
- Engineering & Technology (electrical engineer/Astronomy)
- Liberal Arts (History, Philosophy, English, Social Science)
- Business (Finance, Sport Management, Construction Management, Hospitality)
SOURCES FOR COLLEGE MAJORS RESEARCH:
Please note that while you may “major” in a particular subject, the Lord may move you to new areas within a chosen field. For example, you may choose “nursing” as your major and career choice. But you may not always “stay as a nurse” your entire career.
As a high school student or parent of a high school student, the Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS) is a valuable resource in
understanding options for careers. The above web screen shot taken from the homepage of the BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) enables a high school or college student to explore options of various type of careers broken out by “occupational groups.” The occupational groups are roughly correlated to the Career Clusters shown in this newsletter:
Examples: Architecture & Engineering / Healthcare / Business and Financial / Math / Life, Physical, and Social Science
You may also search careers by:
- Median Pay or Number of New Jobs
- Level of Academic Training (Bachelor’s degree, etc.)
- Projected Growth Rate
- A-Z Index
- Resources (FAQ / Teacher’s Guide / Career Outlook)
In understanding the academic classes and opportunities available to the student, questions might arise on the definition and experience regarding Advance Placement (AP) Classes or Dual Enrollment. After reading the following brief descriptions, please feel free to schedule an appointment through the Heritage Christian Academy front office to meet with the Academic Dean.
Advance Placement (AP): Heritage Christian Academy offers AP classes for a multitude of reasons:
- Students enjoy a richer in-class experience as the instructor is live and on-campus offering the ability to answer questions immediately as well as facilitate class discussions among students.
- The student will receive the training and education to strengthen his/her study skills, critical thinking analysis, and time management skills.
- By successfully completing the course and passing the AP Exam, the student receives college credits prior to entering college which provides a dual benefit of less cost for the college credits along with moving quicker into the field of study the student wishes to pursue.
- College and University Admission’s representatives use the AP classes as a sign that the student is already experienced the rigors of a college class, thus, allowing the college to be confident in the student’s long-term viability and success in the course of pursuing a degree.
AP Testing is conducted usually in the first two weeks of May each academic year. The final exam score will be between 1-5. Most colleges give full and complete credit to a student who has earned a 4 or 5 on the final AP exam.
Duel Enrollment: Currently, Heritage Christian Academy partners with Grand Canyon University in Arizona to provide students who meet certain criteria the ability to enroll in college courses for credit prior to completion of the student’s high school career. Heritage Christian Academy offers duel enrollment for the following reasons:
- Students on an advanced academic track at Heritage Christian Academy benefit from the addition of more classes to customize their High School education.
- The classes offer the students a glimpse into a college level course to acclimate them to the post-secondary expectations and help bridge their academic career from high school to college successfully.
- For students unable (through time constraints or qualifications) to take AP classes at Heritage Christian Academy, the college level courses can demonstrate to University Admission representatives, a student’s desire to pursue a rigorous academic environment in the post-secondary setting.’
ACT Test Dates
SAT Test Dates
The College Board
US Common Application
FAFSA – Federal
Our advisors are eager to serve the students and the parents. For questions or to schedule an appointment, please contact us.
College Guidance Advisors
Tim Hoffman, HCA College Advisor
Dr. Liz Pike, HCA Academic Dean
- Aims Community College (Greeley, CO)
- Anderson University (Anderson, SC) – Christian
- Asbury, University (Wilmore, KY) – Christian
- Baylor University (Waco, TX) — Christian
- Bob Jones University (Greenville, SC) – Christian
- Brooks School of Photography (North Andover, MA) – Christian
- Bryn Mawr (Bryn Mawr, PA)
- Colorado Christian University (Lakewood, CO) – Christian
- Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO)
- Colorado School of Mines (Golden, CO)
- Cornell University (Ithaca, NY)
- Dordt (Sioux Center, IA) – Christian
- Evangel University (Springfield, MO) – Christian
- Front Range Community College (Fort Collins, CO)
- George Fox University (Newburg, OR) – Christian
- George Mason (Fairfax, VA)
- Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ) – Christian
- John Brown University (Siloam Springs, AR) – Christian
- Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD)
- Liberty University (Lynchburg, VA) – Christian
- Michigan State University (Lansing, MI)
- Mississippi State (Starkville, MS)
- Moody Bible College (Chicago, IL) – Christian
- North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)
- Oral Roberts University (Tulsa, OK) – Christian
- Pepperdine University (Malibu, CA) – Christian
- Savannah College of Art & Design (Savannah, GA)
- Seattle Pacific University (Seattle, WA) – Christian
- Taylor University (Upland, IN) – Christian
- Trinity International University (Deerfield, IL) – Christian
- University of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- University of Colorado (Boulder, CO)
- University of Colorado – Denver location
- University of Northern Colorado (Greeley, CO)
- University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA)
- University of Wyoming (Laramie, WY)
- Wheaton College (Wheaton, IL) – Christian
- Arcadia University (Glenside, PA)
- Biola University (La Mirada, CA) – Christian
- Binghamton University (Binghamton, NY)
- Chadron State College (Chadron, NE)
- Colorado Christian University (Denver, CO) – Christian
- Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO)
- Denver Seminary (Denver, CO) – Christian
- Florida Southern College (Lakeland, FL)
- Frontier School of the Bible – Christian
- George Fox University (Newberg, OR) – Christian
- Kansas State University (Kansas City, KS)
- Messiah College (Mechanicsburg, PA) – Christian
- Mid-American Nazarene University (Olathe, KS) – Christian
- Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary (Cordova, TN) – Christian
- Montana State University (Bozeman, MT)
- Ouachita Baptist University (Arkadelphia, AR) – Christian
- Pensacola Christian College (Pensacola, FL) – Christian
- Rocky Mountain Baptist College (Englewood, CO) – Christian
- San Diego University (San Diego, CA)
- Texas A&M University (College Station, TX)
- Tyndale Seminary (Fort Worth, TX) – Christian
- Toccoa Falls College (Toccoa, GA) – Christian
- United States Military Academy (Westpoint, NY)
- University of Alberta (Alberta, Canada)
- University of Illinois (Urbana, IL)
- University of Kansas (Lawrence, KS)
- University of Nebraska (Lincoln NE)
- University of Northern Colorado (Greeley, CO)
- Western State College (Gunnison, CO)